Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Catholic Media Promotion Day

Today is March 15th which is Catholic Media Promotion Day. The purpose of this day is to raise awareness of the role Catholic New Media is playing in our more interconnected world thanks to Social networks like Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, and so many more. Part of Catholic Media Promotion Day is to name 3 of your favorite Catholic blogs, 3 of your favorite Catholic podcasts, 3 other Catholic related media, 3 random Catholic things online and your own personal projects. So without further ado, ket me make my contribution.

My 3 Catholic Blogs

The Curt Jester

This is an outstanding blog written by a former atheist named Jeff Miller. Jeff manages to strike the right balance between Catechesis and humor. I enjoy reading his blogs daily and read his archives for when I need key information which is very handy for me since I am an RCIA sponsor. Check out The Curt Jester, I think you will love it as much as I do!

American Papist

Also a great blog is American Papistwritten by Thomas Peters. If you watch Life on the Rock on EWTN, then you have probably seen Thomas as a guest on the show. American Papist is chalk full of great thought and Catechesis.

Southern Fried Catholicism

Last but certainly not least is Southern Fried Catholicism. This blog is near and dear to my heart because it is literally right down the road from me in Oxford, MS. Maintained by the great folks at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church right at the gates of the University of Mississippi. Writers of Southern Fried Catholicism are Brad Noel and Fr. Joe Tonos who of course is the priest at the parish. They also hold a great weekly event called Good Cheer that takes place at locations around the famous Square in downtown Oxford.

My 3 Catholic Podcasts

First off let me say this is very hard for me cause I can only pick 3 and I listen to so many Catholic podcasts, so if I leave anyone out here, please don’t take it personal.

iPadre

I have been listening to iPadre for several years now and I am fortunate to call Fr. Jay a very good friend of mine. His weekly podcasts are straight forward and powerful. Fr. Jay has a deep faith and love for the Catholic Church and his podcast is full of great teaching.

Catholic in a Small Town

If you are looking for a fun and hilarious podcast about a Catholic family living their everyday life, than check out Mac and Katherine Barron’s Catholic in a Small Town podcast. They also usually have a movie review each episode of their weekly podcast. My wife and I have had the opportunity to meet Mac and Katherine and they are just as genuine in person as they are in their podcast.

Fr. Bill’s Podcast

My wife and I love listening to Fr. William Holtzinger’s weekly homilies which he turns into a podcast. If we lived in Oregon we would be a member of his parish. He is also a fellow Pac-10 fan so he is a great guy right off the bat there.

3 Other Catholic Media

EWTN

Of course one of my favorite TV channels is EWTN. Great teachings and entertaining content. When I wake up in the morning, I like to watch the morning Mass held on the grounds at the EWTN campus. They also have a daily Rosary on the show as well lead by Mother Anjelica and the Sisters. Life on the Rock is a great show tailored for the younger audiences and Raymond Arroyo hosts The World Over which covers Catholic news events over the last week.

The Catholic Channel

If there is a reason I love satellite radio, it is because of The Catholic Channel on SiriusXM. From The Catholics Next Door with Greg and Jennifer Willits to The Catholic Guy with Lino Rulli to The Busted Halo with Fr. Dave Dwyer, they are just full of entertaining and informative content 5 days a week. You can find The Catholic Channel on ch. 159 on Sirius and channel 117 on XM.

SQPN

Of course SQPN is the biggest Catholic Media hub for me. Headed up by Fr. Roderick Vonhögen, SQPN has formed a network of Catholic podcasts from people around the world. Topics range from faith to health to entertainment to technology. It is always fun stopping by SQPN Live and seeing what is going on that particular day and chatting with fellow fans of SQPN. I can truly say I have made some great friendships via SQPN!

3 Catholic Apps

This covers the random area, I thought I would discuss the use of technology in Catholicism via applications on mobile devices.

iMissal

I love this application! It costs about $5 but includes all the readings you would need. As the title implies, it is basically a digital missal right on your iPhone or iPad device, it is also available in the Android Market for the same $5 price.

Confession

There has been a lot of news surrounding this new application. What the app does is guide you to make a good confession which you still have to see a priest to make as it should be. It goes down a list of the 10 Commandments asking you questions pertaining to each commandment. Based on what you check off, it will create a list of sins that is also password protected so you can take your iPhone or iPad into the confessional with and make a good confession. The application is $2 and very useful and informative.

Divine Office

One of my favorite apps in the Divine Office application for the iPhone and iPad at $15. This app contains all the Liturgy of the Hours prayers and so much more.

My Project

Finally there is my own personal media project. I write 3 weekly tech blogs at TupeloGeek called Tuesday Tech Talk, AppleTalk Thursday, and Googling Friday. I also write a personal blog called Balanced Life Weekly about my pursuit of better health, wisdom, and wealth. Recently I launched a blog called The Walking Catholic which is more focused on faith and health issues, it may also one day launch me back into the world of podcasting. I hope you will take the time to visit my blogs and leave a comment. Well, I hope you have enjoyed my insight on Catholic New Media and what I enjoy listening to and watching and interacting with. God Bless!!

No comments:

Post a Comment