Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Balanced Life Weekly #42

Hello everybody and welcome to another edition of Balanced Life Weekly! Got several things to share this week of interest so let's get right into it!

Health

This last week was very challenging on the calorie and exercise front but in a fun way. Last week was Kristen's Spring Break so we headed down to Hattiesburg to celebrate her mom and sister's birthdays as they are one day after the other.

On Friday we went down to New Orleans for the day and had a fun time. I had never been to NOLA as they call it down there for short. Once there we were hungry! I decided to eat like a local and since it is Lent and a Friday, I had a Catfish PoBoy with a mini cup of Gumbo. I enjoyed it after which we walked the mall by the Mississippi River there. I have never seen so much hot sauce sold in so many stores! I love hot sauce and live for the challenges of spice...in-fact I embrace spicy food! Later we ate at a dessert style restaurant called Stanley next door to St. Louis Cathedral in Jackson Square. All total I would say we walked a good 2 miles in downtown New Orleans despite my bad eating choices.

The next day, we went to Mass on Saturday evening and afterwards, attended the Irish-Italian Festival on the parish grounds. Being that Fr. Tommy gave us a Lenten exemption for the festival, I had a beer...not just any beer, it was after all an Irish festival so I had a Guinness and I also had an Italian Sausage dog.




Oh, did I mention earlier that day Kristen and I had lunch at Qdoba? Yeah, I had about 3200 calories that day and no exercise.

So I say all this for the reason that despite my weekend of festive foods, I still lost 1 pound! I thought I would gain or at the very least stay even, but I lost weight! What happen was is once we were back in town Sunday evening, I went to our fitness center and got my cardio in, the following day I did more cardio in the neighborhood and walked and ran a 5K. Earlier today I did yard work pulling shrubs and branches from the backyard to the front to be hauled away later in the week. I was sweating hard and with LoseIt! I calculated about 570 calories burned doing that.

So the point is I was able to get back on track with my fitness and eating healthy again. This is great because if I ever go somewhere, I know I can enjoy the local cuisine and yet get back on track quickly. Oh, as of now I have now lost 15 pounds!!

Wise

So with one trip down there is one to go and that is this weekend in Nashville for PodCamp Nashville. I am looking forward to learning new things, networking with other bloggers and podcasters, and of course seeing friends from other cities and states. Some I have seen before, others I have not. I am taking my iPhone, iPad, and digital camera with me so look for a lot of pictures, video, and some sound-seeing tours next week.

Well, that is going to do it for this week's Balanced Life Weekly. I managed to write this blog post entirely on my iPad using BlogPress. Quite handy considering I will be using this method to live blog from PodCamp Nashville. See you all next

No comments:

Post a Comment